Historic Pen Arts Building and General Federation of Women’s Clubs Headquarters
(followed by Lunch after)
Tuesday, September 26, 2017
TIME: Arrive at WNDC by 10:00 am. Walk to Pen Arts (17th and N St. NW), then to General Federation (1734 N St. NW). Optional lunch at 12:3o pm, Iron Gate Restaurant (separate purchase).
EVENT TYPE: Tours & Lunch
(Image above, left) Pen Arts: Built in 1887 by Sara Adams Whittemore (who later built WNDC’s Whittemore House in 1894), it has been the headquarters of the National League of American Pen Women (NLAPW) since 1951. Although it shares similarities with the Whittemore House, Pen Arts is more Victorian. It features a spacious, ornately carved mahogany entrance hall and curved staircase, an elegant parlor and dining room. Its most famous occupant was the eldest son of Abraham Lincoln, Robert Todd Lincoln who lived there with his wife, Mary, and their three adult children.
(Image above, right) GFWC Headquarters: Retired Rear Admiral William Radford built this grand home in 1875, and it later housed other notable figures. The main rooms are exquisitely decorated in the fashion of the last owners, John and Grace Hoffman White, who bought the home in 1908. They sold it to the General Federation of Women’s Clubs in 1922 as their headquarters. They installed a small elevator (still operable after 95 years!). A solarium off the living room overlooks the former carriage house, which GFWC leases to the Iron Gate Restaurant. The mansion was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1991.
PRICE: Tour only, $15 Members; $20 Non-members