We believe that comprehensive health care is a basic human right. Every person has the right to receive the full range of science-based health care services regardless of race, sex, skin color, religion, gender identity, or the ability to pay. Health care must be universal and encompass all life stages from birth to death including prevention, diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation, and palliation.
Accordingly, we support:
- Providing full funding in all areas of Centers for Disease Control (CDC)–determined surveillance and treatment standards into all causes of morbidity and mortality, including workplace hazards, gun violence, and environmental toxins. All findings must be available to the public in a timely manner.
- Opposing all legislation that might enable any health care provider serving in any tax-funded facility to refuse care to any person for any reason.
- Expanding community-based “on site” medical services with multiple disciplines of health care providers so that no person needs to travel farther than 5 miles for assistance.
- Requiring every public school to be staffed with a registered nurse to evaluate and collaborate with appropriate medical and psychological service providers.
- Providing full federal funding for complete lifetime care for all veterans, their spouses, and their children through the Veterans’ Administration (VA)
- Mandating American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) standards of care for all women of reproductive age including the full range of pregnancy and birthing care, contraceptive choices, or termination of pregnancy as determined by the pregnant woman and her physician.
- Restoring Title X funding to Planned Parenthood and other women’s health care offices that adhere to ACOG standards.
- Requiring that staffing levels in medical offices, surgical centers, and hospitals be determined by physicians, nurses, and other licensed health care providers for maximum patient and medical personnel safety.
- Providing full funding for environmental infrastructure replacement and maintenance to guarantee clean, potable water for every person, all farm animals, and all crops.
- Ensuring decent housing that has comfortable temperature and is dry and free of dust, mold, vermin, lead, and foul or contaminated air.
Karen Pataky, Chair, Health Policy Task Force