From the President
Democratic Party Women’s Leadership Forum
Posted on December 19, 2023 at 12:00 AM
The recent Democratic Party Women’s Leadership Forum gathered influential Democratic party insiders, rising leaders, activists, donors, and experts. WNDC was well-represented by our leadership team, including President Roz Coates, Vice President Anita Beier, Past President Laura Whitaker, and committee chairs Janice Davis, Hollin Dwiggins, Kathy Hochman, Michelle Radecki, and Laura Whitaker.
The forum packed a full agenda with many dynamic speakers including Sen. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, former Congresswoman and gun violence prevention activist Gabby Giffords, and Reps. Joyce Beatty and Shontel Brown of Ohio, Nikki Budzinski and Lauren Underwood of Illinois, Jasmine Crockett of Texas, Sara Jacobs of California, and Jennifer McClellan of Virginia. Democratic polling expert Celinda Lake, Biden/Harris Campaign Manager Julie Chavez-Rodriguez, and Speaker Emerita Nancy Pelosi focused participants on the key issues we face in the 2024 campaign and election. Historian Heather Cox Richardson put the 2024 election into context, and a panel on reproductive rights discussed recent wins in key states and what is at risk in this election. The day ended with a special treat: a surprise visit from First Lady Dr. Jill Biden!
Key themes resonated through the day:
· We are in the civil rights movements of our time.
· The Republicans are the party of fear. The Democrats are the party of hope.
· We do not agonize; we organize.
· Know your power and show your power.
During the time for mingling, the WNDC representatives strengthened ties with leaders of fellow Democratic organizations and clubs such as the National Federation of Democratic Women and a neighboring organization, the Montgomery County Women’s Democratic Club. Not ones to miss a chance for a selfie or posed shot with friendly Dems, we collected snaps of our group with Gabby Giffords, Jill Biden, and Democratic National Committee Chair Jaime Harrison—who was excited to plan a return visit to WNDC. Stay tuned!
· Gun violence prevention activist Gabby Giffords with WNDC Past President Laura Whitaker
· Jill Biden
· WNDC representatives with DNC Chair Jaime Harrison
· Conversations: Choose three of the Biden/Harris administration’s accomplishments and provide concrete examples of how they are making real differences in lives and communities.
· Social media: Create targeted content that is accessible for sharing, and follow and share posts by the influencers doing the work to get out the message.
· Activism: Ramp up WNDC’s get out the vote work, and get involved!
TOGETHER, WE CAN FINISH THE JOB!